This is what happens when you play a 6 hour board game – and commit it to a podcast.
The game in question: Twilight Imperium (4th edition)
Twilight Imperium is what is called a space-based 4X game (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) where all of the players are looking to control the central planet Mecatol Rex – and score points by completing different objectives. The game is for 3-6 players and can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours to complete, so you will need to plan an entire day around it.
In this three-part playthrough, there are five players:
- Mike (our intrepid host) – Federation of Sol (the humans)
- Matthew – Mentak Coalition (space pirates)
- Clinton – Emirates of Hacan (humanoid cats who are masters at trade)
- John (the owner of this copy) – Barony of Letnev (vampire-like military industrialists)
- Jonathan (manager at the Game Cafe, where this game was played) – Naalu Collective (telepathic snake women)
Part 1: Click here (releases with this post)
Part 2: Click here (releases February 5)
Part 3: Click here (releases February 19)