Episode 16 of This Podcast Is… Uncalled For
Click here to listen and download.
Do you remember in Episode 3 of this podcast when Adam McKeith referred to Aioran – a conlang developed by Mike and used in Tales from the Interim Net – as a “Japanese-Spanish mix”?
Well, it kind of it – because Mike has formally studied Español and Nihon’go (日本語).
Mike also maintains something of a working knowledge of both of these radically different languages. He had attempted to learn other languages – including French, Russian, Vietnamese, and Klingon – and, as mentioned above, created a conlang (constructed language).
Other languages mentioned in this episode: Polish (the mother tongue of Mike’s paternal ancestors), Esperanto, Tenctonese (the language from Alien Nation).
Episodes of Tales from the Interim Net referenced here:
- Episode Alpha “The Bloodline” (Aioran)
- Episode Gamma “Kata of the Dragonborn” (Japanese)
- Episode Mu “Mne Zhit’ Ne Khochetsya” (Russian – even the episode’s title is Russian)
Mike’s Aioran video:
Scene from the 1966 film Incubus – which stars a pre-Star Trek William Shatner and is entirely in Esperanto:
A scene from Gaki no Tsukai (a Japanese comedy variety show):
A video from the LangFocus YouTube channel:
- Intro music: “Iron Bacon” by Kevin MacLeod
- Background music: “Cambodian Odyssey” by Kevin MacLeod
- Background music: “Lightless Dawn” by Kevin MacLeod
- Outro music: “響が聞こえる / Pacific Echoes” by Pierce Murphy